One year ago, Drake stepped it up a notch and brought us an album that is arguably his best up to date. The Toronto native cooked up an emotional, melody-driven album with production from Detail and guest appearances from Jay Z and Jhene Aiko.
Upon the album’s release, our social media timelines were filled with nothing but hilarious memes and Drake quotes that were made for texting our exes and humbly-bragging about the things we have in life. Here are 10 of the most influential lyrics from Nothing Was The Same that changed our lives:
- “Somewhere between psychotic and iconic/ Somewhere between I want it and I got it/ Somewhere between I’m sober and I’m lifted/ Somewhere between a mistress and commitment” (Furthest Thing)
According to Drake, there are levels to this shit.
- “I just been plottin’ on the low, schemin’ on the low, the furthest thing from perfect like everyone I know.” (Furthest Thing)
The humble Drake we all love and adore.
- “I show up knowing exactly who I was and never leave as myself.” (Connect)
Drake loses himself each time he’s with his lady.
- “I love me enough for the both of us.” – Jhene Aiko (From Time)
Jhene is so full of love, that she doesn’t need a man’s attention to up her self esteem
- “F*ck all that happy-to-be-here shit y’all want me on” (Pound Cake/Paris Morton Music 2)
Drake has outgrown the need to say how thankful he is for the position he holds in life and wants people to respect his success.
- “Started from the bottom now we’re here/ Started from the bottom now my whole team f*ckin’ here” (Started From the Bottom)
The come-up story we all know and respect.
- “I don’t know why they been lyin’ but yo’ sh*t is not that inspiring” (The Language)
According to Drake, he says to not believe the hype
- “N*ggas talk more than b*tches these days…just let shit that sink in” (Own It)
In the words of Jay Z, it’s like a bunch of n****s actin’ like bitches with big mouths.
- “Same city, same friends if you looking for me” (Connect)
In this lyric Drake demonstrates how loyal he is to his crew and city of Toronto.
You might also like
More from Features
Up and coming artist, Goon Des Garcons* has recently released his debut album, Sheesh! and this is one project you …
5ive Talks About Being From the South That Birthed of Hip-Hop Music, Having a Distinctive Sound and More
RESPECT.: How did you get your name? What is the meaning of it and how it spelt? I got the name …
RESPECT.: How did you come up with the song “Sundress?” What were the vibes of it? I was on Facebook and …