Last night in Atlanta, four architects of modern trap music came together for Trap Roundtable, as part of Red Bull Music Festival Atlanta, to discuss the origins, key moments and the overall production style that took over hip-hop. Together on one stage, DJ Toomp, Shawty Redd, Zaytoven along with a special appearance by Mike Will Made It, these producers have had an indelible effect on the sound of hip-hop.
Moderated by journalist Yoh Phillips, the group spoke for nearly two hours about their careers, their first hit records, trap’s origins, in-studio tales, how the modern sound came to be, early day jobs (‘I had the number one song in the country and I was still cutting hair,’ Zaytoven remarked) and more. The group also shared candid stories about working with artists like Gucci Mane, Jay-Z, Kanye West; Shawty Redd even announced on stage that a new album with Jeezy was dropping soon.
- Shawty Redd revealed he gave Snoop Dogg “Sensual Seduction” for free.
- Mike Will’s marathon studio sessions with Gucci Mane, cranking out four songs in one hour.
- Gucci Mane initially turned down featuring on “Black Beatles” and it took Mike Will days of pushing to get him on the track
- Zaytoven continuing his day job cutting hair while working with Usher; It wasn’t until “Versace” that he shifted to music full time.
- DJ Toomp talked about playing the beat for Jay-Z’s “Say Hello” for seven straight hours after he made it- he knew it was a hit.
- Zaytoven’s secret to longevity: keep up with times, re-invent and stay active,
- Mike Will and Zaytoven respect Kayne West and his new sound.
- DJ Toomp made T.I.’s “Motivation” in five minutes
- Mike Will’s top picks for in-studio rappers: Swae Lee, Future and Gucci Mane to “capture the vibe.”
- DJ Toomp’s biggest check came in 1997 thanks to the Dr. Dolittle soundtrack; He took the $75k and started flipping cars and houses.
Calmatic Breaks Down the Creation of Anderson .Paak’s “Bubblin” Visual
Christina Aguilera Connects with Goldlink for Anderson .Paak-Produced “Like I Do”
More from Events
A Great Night in Hip-Hop — Tonight at Fotografiska NY!
Legends of Hip-Hop journalism will pay tribute to what is regarded as one of the most icon photos in music …
Nems, G Herbo, Westside Gunn and more Joins D’USSE at Rolling Loud New York – Day 1
Yesterday, D'USSÉ Cognac kicked off Day 1 of this year’s Rolling Loud in New York which featured performers such as …
Snoop Dogg & Shante Broadus Debut The Broadus Collection By Shante & Snoop, A Luxury Scarf Line!
Entertainment icon and entrepreneur Snoop Dogg has unveiled his most personal business venture along with his wife, Shante Broadus, for …
Leave a Reply