Today, Reebok announces ‘Crossover U’, an all-day workshop series led by five contemporary creatives who draw inspiration from Allen Iverson’s impact on and off the court. Celebrating the release of the new Question Mid Double Cross sneaker, each workshop will explore Iverson’s influence on culture, style and creativity via experiential education. ‘Crossover U’ will take place on October 25 in New York City.
Every aspiring creative needs a teacher or role model. In the same way Iverson was taught the ‘crossover’ and made it his own iconic move, Reebok will mentor the next generation with stylist Matthew Henson, artist and designer Gianni Lee, jewelry designer Martine Ali, photographer Quil Lemons and hairstylist Guingui.
Individual workshop enrollment will be open to the public from October 10 – October 17 on Reebok.com/US/Crossover_U. Applicants will be selected on a first come, first serve basis. Seating is extremely limited.
Below is an overview of ‘Crossover U’ programming:
- Matthew Henson: Pre-Dress Code Styling When the league instituted a dress code in response to Allen Iverson’s boundary-pushing style, they severed an essential tie between sport and street. Stylist Matthew Henson leads a personal styling workshop centered around the Question Mid Double Cross and looks the league couldn’t handle, exploring pre-dress code sportswear within a contemporary fashion context.
- Gianni Lee: Creative Upcycling Above all, Allen Iverson represented individuality. For those like artist and designer Gianni Lee, Iverson’s style wasn’t a blueprint to be copied, but a creative platform to inspire authenticity on a personal level. This workshop will feature Gianni leading an upcycling session; reworking standard pieces into one-of-one Iverson-inspired modern originals to pair with the Question Mid Double Cross.
- Martine Ali: Custom Jewelry Design Allen Iverson introduced street culture and hip hop’s love of jewelry to the league. Jewelry designer Martine Ali leads a custom jewelry-making session, inspired by Iverson’s classic accessories and infused with the signature energy of the Question Mid Double Cross.
- Quil Lemons: Lifestyle Photography on Film Portraiture and lifestyle imagery of Allen Iverson changed the way we expect athletes to look. Inspired by Iverson’s most iconic images on and off the court, photographer Quil Lemons leads an exploration into the creative and technical processes of street photography on film, capturing local athletes styled in the Question Mid Double Cross.
- Guingui: Advanced Braiding Allen Iverson’s braids broke boundaries in the league and inspired a legion of fans—as well as other players—to wear braids of their own. Hair stylist Guingui leads an advanced workshop on contemporary braiding and hair-styling, inspired by AI’s most famous cuts and the unique detailing of the new Question Mid Double Cross.
At the center of ‘Crossover U’ is the new Question Mid Double Cross, which features an asymmetric execution blending the iconic red and blue-toe colorways that Iverson debuted and wore throughout his rookie season. The sneaker symbolizes Iverson’s most memorable on-court ‘crossover’ moments that year and his ability to cross up basketball culture with the style and sounds of his everyday life.
Question Mid Double Cross ($150) is available as a limited release on October 11 in-store at select UBIQ, Undefeated, Foot Locker (34th Street & Washington Heights) and Champs Sports (Times Square) locations. The shoe will then become available worldwide on October 23 on Reebok.com and across the Foot Locker family of brands, including: Foot Locker, Kids Foot Locker, Footaction, Champs Sports and Eastbay.com.
To accompany the announcement of ‘Crossover U’, Reebok has released a film and series of images featuring the workshop hosts as they explore how Allen Iverson has collectively impacted their lives.
Reebok continues to pioneer retro basketball style for the modern era by reintroducing legendary on-court silhouettes that take the cultural dialogue uniting basketball and street style and pushing it to the creative limit. With the launch of the Question Mid Double Cross, Reebok retells the story of how this historic partnership and shoe forever changed basketball culture, for both diehard Iverson fans and a new generation.
More from Fashion
Global backpack and influential streetwear brand Sprayground, launches the Harriet Tubman backpack in celebration and recognition of Black History Month. The …
Reebok has collaborated with some major talent in a series of unconventional runway shows to launch its new energy-return shoe, …
Foot Locker and PUMA have teamed up with comic book artist, Jen Bartel, to put a colorful spin on the classic …