Today, Red Bull 3Style, the largest global DJ competition in the world, announced details for the 2019 USA National Finals, set to take place in San Francisco on December 8, 2019. Six of the country’s best DJs will assemble in San Francisco for the ultimate battle of the turntables. The winner of the competition will represent the USA at the 2020 Red Bull 3Style World DJ Championships in Moscow, Russia.
Now in its monumental tenth year, Red Bull 3Style was originally created in 2010 to advance and celebrate the culture of DJing. The rules of Red Bull 3Style are simple:
- Each competitor plays a combination of at least three musical genres in their 15 minutes, aiming to impress the panel of judges and get the crowd on their feet.
- The score points are divided into four categories: Originality, Skills, Music Selection, and Crowd Response.
This year, 120 DJs will compete in 20 National Finals all over the world and the winners of those rounds will head to the World Finals in Moscow. Four Wildcards will be announced following the completion of National Finals in February 2020. The Wildcard category is open only to DJs from countries not hosting a National Finals event. The Wildcards are awarded by the International Judging Panel and will compete alongside the National Champions at the World Final.
The USA National Finals has tapped some of the most celebrated names in DJing to judge the competition, including DJ Jazzy Jeff, Four Color Zack, DJ Puffy, and the Bay Area’s very own, J. Espinosa. Espinosa took home the crown as the Red Bull 3Style World Champion at the 2019 World Finals in Taipei.
“I’m thrilled to have had the opportunity to work with Red Bull 3Style as a World Champion for the past year. Throughout this time, it’s been an amazing journey and a great experience to help Red Bull advance the culture of DJing and entertain music-lovers around the globe. Each year, whether I am competing or judging, I’ve witnessed so many unforgettable moments where world-class DJs from all over share their talents and I’m looking forward to seeing what they bring to the Bay Area in December!” said J. Espinosa.
This year’s talented group of 2019 USA National Finalists include:
- DJ Lazyboy: With over 19 years of experience, DJ Lazyboy separates himself from the competition with a high level of performance skill, creative mixing, and vast knowledge of music across countless genres. He has recorded projects with Snoop Dogg and Artifacts, and has performed on stage with Mobb Deep, Too $hort, Of Monsters and Men, Cake, Bone Thugs n Harmony, Mario, Mya, Madlib, Mos Def, and more. Check him out on Instagram at @djlazyboy
- Matsu: Representing New York City, Matsu leaves no track unturned for an unforgettable night, every night. Matsu has won countless DJing awards and has performed at venues, festivals, and colleges around the world. Check him out on Instagram at @matsu
- Dynamix: Four-time Red Bull 3Style veteran, DJ Dynamix is a master of mix, playing his world-famous beats across the globe. Check him out on Instagram at @dynamixif2
- DJ Fingersmith: With 10 years under his belt, this master scratcher, best known for his performances featured on DJCity, is currently sharing his expertise as an Instructor at the Scratch DJ Academy and spinning events all over the New York City area. Check him out on Instagram at @djfingersmith
- Chris Villa: Hailing from Arizona, Chris Villa will amaze fans with his high-energy and gravitating personality. In addition to appearing in set lists across the world, he is also the in-game DJ for his home city, the Arizona Diamondbacks. Check him out on Instagram at @djchrisvilla
- Shane Canfield: This open-format DJ out of Illinois is known for his 15-minute deep house mixes. As a first time finalist, Shane Canfield will wow the crowd with his smooth transitions and drops that will be sure to catch you off-guard. Check him out on Instagram at @shanecanfield
These national finalists were selected based on a 5-minute online video submission, which was open to DJs across the world. DJs are judged based on the quality of the performance shown on the submitted video, as well as biographical information and their existing pieces of work. A panel of international judges chooses the top 6 National Finalists for each region.
The 2019 Red Bull 3Style USA Championships will take place on December 8, 2019 in San Francisco at the legendary Midway. For more information and to purchase tickets, please visit www.redbull.com/3styleusa.
Calmatic Breaks Down the Creation of Anderson .Paak’s “Bubblin” Visual
Christina Aguilera Connects with Goldlink for Anderson .Paak-Produced “Like I Do”
More from Events
A Great Night in Hip-Hop — Tonight at Fotografiska NY!
Legends of Hip-Hop journalism will pay tribute to what is regarded as one of the most icon photos in music …
Nems, G Herbo, Westside Gunn and more Joins D’USSE at Rolling Loud New York – Day 1
Yesterday, D'USSÉ Cognac kicked off Day 1 of this year’s Rolling Loud in New York which featured performers such as …
Snoop Dogg & Shante Broadus Debut The Broadus Collection By Shante & Snoop, A Luxury Scarf Line!
Entertainment icon and entrepreneur Snoop Dogg has unveiled his most personal business venture along with his wife, Shante Broadus, for …
Leave a Reply