Today Espolòn Tequila launches DEATH, a magazine that pays homage to a creative (and wonderfully morbid) Day of the Dead art form — the writing of literary calaveras. Simply put, these are illustrated poems — but with a deadly twist.
The rise of this style of poetry is intrinsically linked to the brilliant work of Jose Guadalupe Posada, whose iconic drawings during the Mexican revolution would become the country’s beloved, quintessential representations of death. It is his artwork that inspires the striking design of Espolòn Tequila bottles.
Literary calaveras, which began as satirical obituaries of Mexico’s elite in the 19th century, evolved into a longstanding tradition that is still alive today. Every year, at the end of October, people of Mexico take to newspapers, radio and even television to share witty (and often biting) poems poking fun at their (still living) loved ones’ shortcomings, ultimately culminating in their comical demise. They are a sign of Mexican creativity and irreverence – and a friendly reminder of our own mortality.
In this spirit, Espolòn Tequila honors Posada and all who’ve crossed over with DEATH, a custom publication featuring modern calaveras penned by some of today’s rising literary stars and pop culture personalities, many of whom come from Mexican-American and LatinX communities. Notable contributors include:
- Miguel, Grammy-winning R&B superstar.
- Cover illustration done by Scott Campbell, world-renowned tattoo artist.
- Mishel Prada, Activist and star of Starz’s ground-breaking drama series, Vida.
- Valentina, Star of RuPaul’s Drag Race.
- Suzy Exposito, Latin Music editor at Rolling Stone.
- Bricia Lopez, World famous restaurateur.
- Caitlin Doughty, Mortician and New York times best-selling author.
- E.R Pulgar, Acclaimed LatinX poet and music critic.
- Valeria The Mexican Witch, Celebrity Tarot reader, author and founding priestess of the Feminist Church of La Santa Muerte.
- Dates: Thursday, October 31 and Friday, November 1
- Times: Open to the public (ages 21+) 1 p.m.-5 p.m.
- Location: 499 Broadway New York, NY 10012 (SoHo, between Broome & Spring Street)
More from Fashion
To celebrate their new Wynwood, Miami location that opened this week on December 5, 2019, UNKNWN has partnered with some …
adidas + KANYE WEST announce the YEEZY BOOST 350 V2 Yeezreel. It will be available on December 14, 2019. Recommended …
PUMA has teamed up with classic California streetwear brand, THE HUNDREDS for their debut collaboration. Recreating PUMA’s iconic Clyde silhouette, the PUMA x THE …