Brooklyn, N.Y. – July 14, 2019
- The BIG3 returned to Barclays Center Sunday afternoon, the site of the league’s first-ever games in the 2017 season.
- Joe Johnson helped the surging Triplets score the expansion team’s fourth consecutive win, while Coach Kenyon Martin led the Trilogy past Coach Charles Oakley and the previously unbeaten 3 Headed Monsters.
- Hip Hop legends LL Cool J, Fat Joe, and Jadakiss made their way to the sidelines to catch the trio of exciting match-ups. Artist Jim Jones entertained during a special halftime performance.
- The BIG3 continues Season 3 next week in Kansas City (Saturday, 3:00PM ET at the Sprint Center) and Oklahoma City (Sunday, 1:00PM ET at Chesapeake Energy Arena). Games are available on CBS and CBSSports.com.
- Today’s attendance was 13,107. Yesterday’s attendance in Providence, R.I. was 8,112.
Triplets 50 (4-0) vs Tri State 37 (1-3)
The day’s first match-up did not disappoint as league-leading scorer, and former Brooklyn Net, Joe Johnson tallied 17 points and a game-winning 4-point shot to lead the Triplets to victory.
Tri State rode out a “two-man game” for the majority of the contest, as Amar’e Stoudemire and Jason Richardson accounted for Tri State’s first 28 points. The duo finished with 13 and 20 points, respectively. However, strong performances from Jannero Pargo (9 pts, three first half 3 pointers) and Al Jefferson (14 pts, 10 reb) put the Triplets over the top.
The Triplets and Iso Joe will look to continue their undefeated campaign next week in Kansas City.
Jason Richardson 20 pts, 2 reb
Amar’e Stoudemire 13 pts, 6 reb
Joe Johnson 17 pts, 7 reb
Al Jefferson 14 pts, 10 reb
Triplets hit (4-0); Tri-State falls to (1-3)
Bivouac 50 (2-2) vs 3 Headed Monsters 43 (2-2)
Sunday afternoon’s second game featured a strong showing from former Brooklyn Net Reggie Evans. However, the big man’s 21 points and 13 rebounds weren’t enough to prevent the 3 Headed Monsters from losing back-to-back for the first time in team history.
Expansion team Bivouac evened out the season Sunday, thanks in big part to 13 points and a game-icing 3-point-shot from the shifty Will Bynum. Bynum’s handles, contributions from CJ Leslie (12 pts, 7 reb), and strong team defense helped curb the 3 Headed Monsters’ comeback attempt.
Bivouac will look to keep the ball rolling next week in Kansas City against 3’s Company.
Will Bynum 13 pts, 1 reb
C.J. Leslie 12 pts, 8 reb
3 Headed Monsters
Reggie Evans 21 pts, 13 reb
Mario Chalmers 13 pts, 4 reb
Bivouac improves to (2-2); 3 Headed Monsters fall to (2-2)
Trilogy 50 (2-2) vs Killer 3s 48 (3-1)
Brooklyn’s final matchup repeatedly brought the Barclays Center to its feet. The final moments featured some exciting back-and-forth play. Ultimately, a 2-point free throw from the game’s leading scorer David Hawkins (21 pts) gave Trilogy the team’s second win. Hawkins scored 9 straight points for Trilogy toward the end of play.
The Killer 3s, coached by the “King of New York” Charles Oakley, were down for most of the contest, but momentum-swinging buckets from Franklin Session and Donte Greene provided a second half lead. The complementary play of Trilogy players Sam Young (13 pts) and James “Flight” White (10 pts, 9 reb) proved to be too much for the Killer 3’s to handle.
Trilogy will aim to get their third win in Oklahoma City next Sunday against Gilbert Arenas and the Enemies.
Donte Greene 18 pts, 3 reb
Stephen Jackson 12 pts, 1 reb
David Hawkins 21 pts, 1 reb
Sam Young 13 pts, 1 reb
Trilogy impresses and improves to (2-2); Killer 3s drop to (3-1)
You might also like
More from Sports
Dallas, Texas – August 17th, 2019 Power presented with 2018 BIG3 Championship rings. Game-winning three-pointer from Mario Chalmers sends 3 Headed Monsters …
[Image credit: John Bazemore/AP/Shutterstock] Has the ink dried yet on the deal that Jay-Z just signed with the NFL? Have you …
The number one Alpine skier in the world, Mikaela Shiffrin, joins adidas in a multi-year partnership that will centre around …