Entering its sixteenth year, world-renowned breaking competition Red Bull BC One has announced dates for Red Bull BC One Camp Houston. A 3-day event focused on dance lovers and risings stars from across the country, the weekend will be packed with workshops, lectures, competitions, and special events, all held at Warehouse Live.
A multi-day community event focused on connecting the street dance scene, members of the Houston community will have the chance to engage with some of the nation’s top breakers through these educational experiences. In addition to workshops and lectures, the Red Bull BC One B-Girl and B-Boy National Finals will take place at BC One Camp Houston which will crown two winners. Both of which will advance for their chance to compete in the Mumbai World Final on November 9th.
Introduced to the world in the 1970s, the art of breaking was originally inspired by the diverse and growing hip-hop culture and sounds of New York City. Connecting individuals spanning diverse backgrounds through the universal language of hip-hop, the breaking movement, spearheaded by longtime Red Bull Dancer, Richard ‘Crazy Legs’ Colon, has emerged as a mainstream means of self-expression and connects people from cultures worldwide.
Today, Red Bull BC One has risen to become the world’s premier one-on-one B-Boy and B-Girl competition, drawing from generations of hip-hop culture. Red Bull BC One competitions continue to be at the forefront of breaking, with a growing b-girl community. This year, Red Bull BC One will invitethousands of dancers to battle it out in cities across the country, culminating at Red Bull BC One Camp, where they enter the final battle for a chance to represent at the Red Bull BC One World Final on November 9th which will be available to fans anywhere via livestream on Red Bull BC One channels including YouTube and Facebook.
As part of the biggest one-on-one breaking competition in the world, Red Bull BC One Camp will be built around 12 participatory workshops and lectures open to the public, as well as several competitions and celebratory parties. Red Bull BC One Camp Houston will engage dancers and fans with dedicated programming to bring these local scenes to a global audience:
Throughout Red Bull BC One Camp Houston, dancers from around the globe will show their stuff and battle it out via competitions:
- Red Bull BC One US B-Boy Final – This National Red Bull BC One Cypher will be live streamed to viewers worldwide as audiences watch B-Boys compete for the chance to be #1. This battle will be supported with tunes by DJ Fleg, with judges Roxrite, Wicket, and Marlon on deck.
- Red Bull BC One US B-Girl Final – The second annual National Red Bull B-Girl Cypher in the US, this battle will continue to showcase Red Bull’s mission to empower women to break the glass ceiling of breaking with sixteen b-girls from around the US competing for the top spot soundtracked to beats provided by DJ Lean Rock. This battle will be judged by Ronnie, Jeskilz and B-Girl Babygirl.
- Popping & Breaking Battle – An ode to decades past, participants will explore popping and breaking with a twist, matching 16 competing poppers and breakers up at random to the beats of Skeme Richards. Popping first inspired the breaking scene in the early 1970’s, and continues to have an influence on breakers today.
- Red Bull BC One All Stars Exhibition – This ultimate battle will take place during the afterparty following the Red Bull BC One US National Finals, featuring some of the top breakers from around the US as they battle it out with this year’s Red Bull BC One Camp All Stars.
- Break The Game – Hosts Roxrite and Ronnie lead Red Bull BC One All Stars in a dance move-matching challenge akin to the game H-O-R-S-E. The first to make their opponent reach B-R-E-A-K will be the winner.
- All Styles Bonnie & Clyde – In this competition, duos will battle it out, with pairs consisting of one male and one male as they compete together in a two-on-two competition to the beats of Skeme Richards.
The Workshops & Lectures
12 workshops and lectures over three days featuring programming for people of all skill sets and levels, inviting Houston’s dancers to participate in lessons with professional breakers. Attendees will have the opportunity to learn about a variety of subjects, from choreography to different genres of dance to hip-hop and more:
- Break It ‘Til You Make It
- Back to basics with a legendary crew. B-boys Kid David, Casper and Luigi will share the approach that made Skill Brat Renegades three of break’s most notorious dancers.
- Sight to Sound
- Find balance between intricate musicality and essential feel-good movement with a study in popping fundamentals, isolations, and dime stops, all sprinkled with fundamental grooves. Taught through counts and choreography form by original Jabbawockeez crew member Phi.
- Musicality, Flow, & Texture
- Practice your patience and control with world renown choreographer and Kinjaz co-founder, Mike Song. In this workshop, he’ll share insights on creativity and guide you through choreography to focus on elevating your performance both on and off the stage.
- Pop Rock & Hand Styles
- An All-Styles, all-levels masterclass from an all-around master of the art. Popping technique, rocking (both freestyle and toprock), hand styles, and burns for all styles will all be covered in detail by OG Rock Steady Crew member Mr. Wiggles.
- Original Flow
- Learn the art of flow from a world champion. Two-time Red Bull BC One titleholder Menno will lead a workshop focused on enhancing your style with flowing original movement.
- House Dance: Finding Structure & Purpose In Competitive Exchanges
- Led by Junious “House” Brickhouse & Latasha Barnes discuss the ways in which House Music culture balances between cyphers and battles, to non-competitive dance environments. Student-collaborators will practice House Dance choreography and freestyle in this workshop.
- On & Off the Floor
- Cypher Adiktz founder Jeskilz knows what it takes to build a movement within and without. In this workshop, she’ll use that experience to help you unlock your potential by sharing her personal techniques for creating growth. How does breaking serve you? How does it serve others? Where can this dance take you? Explore those questions and your skill on the floor will grow—trust.
- Evolve Your Style
- Three veteran Red Bull BC One All-Stars will each teach a technique they’ve mastered, with the ultimate goal of using the techniques to help shape your own unique style. Neguin will guide dancers on a journey through mental, physical, and energetic techniques fusing Brazilian Martial Arts and Hip-Hop. Victor will explore original movement creation with power moves and level changing, and Hong 10 will share his expert knowledge of footwork. The workshop will be split into 3 rotating groups, with each group getting dedicated facetime with the workshop leaders.
More from Events
Today, Black Lives Matter Global Network Foundation (BLM Foundation) and Black Lives Matter Network Action Fund (BLM Action Fund) and …
Billboard and Telemundo announced today that superstars Carlos Vives and Anuel AA will participate in the newly revamped LatinFest+, formerly known as Billboard Latin Music …
“We are going to shock the world,” CEEK VR CEO and Founder Mary Spio uttered beneath triumphant tears to a …